Monday, September 12, 2011

9-11-11 (a day late)

I can't believe it has been 10 yrs since the tragic incident of what we all refer to as "9/11". I remember exactly where I was. I was a few weeks pregnant with my son and a college student. That morning I was volunteering at a Head Start for my teca class. We didn't have tv and really it wasn't until the owner came in and let us know what had happened. She had a small radio and a mini black and white tv in her closet of an office. We all listened and tried our best to explain to the kids what was going on while we all tried to understand ourselves what had just happened. I met my dad and mom for lunch but we first met at a tire shop where my dad's truck was being serviced. That is where I actually got to see the horrible videos.

Our church this past weekend had a basket filled with everyones names who sadly lost their life that day. We were asked to pick one and say a special prayer for them. So, Matt chose a name...Sergio Villanueva. He was one of the firefighters that responded that morning. Born 7/4/68 in Argentina and loved soccer.
I chose Meredith Lynn Whalen. She was only 23 years old and was working in one of the twin towers when the plane hit. Her mother's letter made me tear up.
We finally explained to Matt (as little detail as possible) what 9/11 is or means here in the U.S. He asked because of the basket at church. He wanted to know why we were praying for them.

Today also marks the 6 month anniversary of my grandpa's passing. My family back home had a mass for him. I still miss him very much and think often of that last time I was with him...summer '10. I still wish I could go back and change what I said to him. "I love you grandpa, I'll see you next summer". I kinda had a feeling I wouldn't be seeing him the following summer,but the naive part of me didn't want to believe it and thought I was over reacting. So, I kept it positive I suppose.

We also went to concert that evening and saw Incubus. Young the Giant was the opening act. The whole concert was awesome. We sat next to two guys who claimed to be huge Incubus fans. They weren't lying. They sang every song...every word. They were dancing so hard core that I was almost elbowed in the cheek. They were very talkative and friendly. After every song they would hug each other (Ha). There were also two deaf interpreters there. I really enjoyed watching them sign to the songs. Since the concert was pretty long for just one person they took turns. Both did really well. I forgot my camera so no pics...well except for the ones from phone. I am still learning the ends and outs of my new iphone so I'll have to post those later. Since the concert was on 9/11 he did dedicate a song to them...Wish You Were Here. We will definitely make plans to see them again when they come back this way.

One last thing...Redskins won their first game of the season!! Go Redskins!!